14 June 1995
COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
Sub-Commission on Prevention of
Discrimination and Protection
Item 6 of the provisional agenda
QUESTION OF THE VIOLATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS, INCLUDING POLICIES OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION AND SEGREGATION AND OF APARTHEID, IN ALL COUNTRIES, WITH PARTICULAR REFERENCE TO COLONIAL
AND OTHER DEPENDENT COUNTRIES AND TERRITORIES: REPORT OF THE SUBCOMMISSION UNDER COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
RESOLUTION 8 (XXIII)
Note by the Secretary-General
1. At its forty-sixth session, the Sub-Commission adopted resolution 1994/16, entitled "Situation of human rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran", in which it requested the Secretary-General to continue to keep the Subcommission informed of relevant reports and United Nations measures to prevent human rights violations in the Islamic Republic of Iran, including, in particular, those concerning the situation of the Kurds and the Arab minority and the religious freedoms of the Baha'i and Christian communities in Iran.
2. In compliance with this request, the attention of the Subcommission is drawn to the interim report which the Special Representative on the situation of human rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran, Mr. Reynaldo Galindo Pohl, submitted to the General Assembly at its forty-ninth session (A/49/514, annex and A/49/514/Add.1 and 2).
3. On 23 December 1994, the General Assembly adopted, by 74 votes to 25, with 55 abstentions, resolution 49/202, entitled "Situation of human rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran".
4. The Special Representative submitted his final report to the Commission on Human Rights at its fifty-first session (E/CN.4/1995/55).
5. At its fifty-first session, the Commission on Human Rights also had before it reports by the Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances (E/CN.4/1995/36), by the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (E/CN.4/1995/31 and E/CN.4/1995/31/Add.2) and by the Special Rapporteurs on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions (E/CN.4/1995/61), on the question of torture (E/CN.4/1995/34) and on forms of intolerance and of discrimination based on religion or belief (E/CN.4/1995/91 and E/CN.4/1995/91/Add.1), which refer to the situation of human rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran within the terms of their respective mandates.
6. On 8 March 1995, the Commission on Human Rights adopted, by a roll-call vote of 28 to 8, with 17 abstentions, resolution 1995/68 entitled "Situation of human rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran". The Commission decided to extend the mandate of the Special Representative, as contained in Commission resolution 1984/54 of 14 March 1984, for a further year, and requested him to submit an interim report to the General Assembly at its fiftieth session on the situation of human rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran, including the situation of minority groups such as the Baha'is, and to report to the Commission at its fifty-second session.
7. The attention of the Subcommission is also drawn to the concluding observations of the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD/C/43/CRP.1/Add.9), and the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (E/C.12/1993/7), and the comments of the Human Rights Committee (CCPR/C/79/Add.25) on reports submitted by the Islamic Republic of Iran under article 9 of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, under articles 16 and 17 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, and under article 40 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, respectively.