SUMMARY RECORD OF THE 669th MEETING*
Held at the Palais Wilson, Geneva,
on Friday, 6 October 2000, at 11 a.m.
Chairperson: Ms. OUEDRAOGO
CLOSURE OF THE SESSION
1. The CHAIRPERSON invited members to consider chapter I, "Organizational and other matters", chapter III "Inter-sessional activities of the Committee", chapter IV, "Cooperation with United Nations and other competent bodies", chapter V, "Thematic discussion day" and chapter VI, "General comments", of the report.
2. Chapters I, III, IV, V and VI of the report were adopted.
3. The CHAIRPERSON invited the Rapporteur to introduce chapter II, section B of the report, entitled "Reports by States parties under article 44 of the Convention", which contained the Committee’s concluding observations on the reports of Finland, Burundi, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - Isle of Man, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - Overseas Dependent Territories, Tajikistan, Colombia, the Central African Republic, the Marshall Islands, the Slovak Republic and the Islamic Federal Republic of the Comoros.
4. Mr. DOEK (Rapporteur), giving a brief overview of the Committee’s concluding observations and recommendations on the 10 reports considered at the session, said that the Committee had focused on legislation, coordination and monitoring and data collection. It had stressed the need to include all children under 18 years in data collection and the importance of training, dissemination of information and the child’s right to be heard. Emphasis had also been laid on non-discrimination, the best interests of the child, the importance of birth registration, and the need for institutionalization to be used only as a last resort. Finally, the Committee had urged States parties to ratify the Optional Protocols to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict and on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography. He described the main aspects of the observations on each report.
Concluding observations of the Committee on the Rights of the Child: Tajikistan (CRC/C/15/Add.136)
15. Chapter II of the report, as a whole, was adopted.
16. The CHAIRPERSON invited members to consider chapter VII of the report, "Draft provisional agenda for the twenty-sixth session".
17. Chapter VII of the report was adopted.
18. The Committee’s report on its twenty-fifth session, as a whole, was adopted.