Committee on the Rights of the Child
Date First Elected
Date Term Expires
Position on Committee
Main professional activities:
- Co-opted member (1989-2000) of the board of directors of the Max Planck Institute for Human Development and Education, Berlin. From 1975-2002 researcher with the Max Planck Institute for Human Development and Education.
- Chairman of the expert commission that prepared the 10th German Report on Children and Youth (published 1998).
- Guest lecturer at universities in India, Japan, Switzerland and the United States of America.
- Since 1982 Professor of Sociology of Education at the Freie Universität, Berlin
Other main activities in the field relevant to the mandate of the treaty body concerned:
- Active member of national and international academic associations such as the Society for Research on Child Development and the International Society for the Study of Behavioural Development. Initiator/member of and adviser to committees and groups concerned with promoting children's education, daycare and welfare
List of most recent publications in the field:
- 2002, Education as the means of children's and adolescents' empowerment (in Münchmeyer et al. (eds.)); - 2001, Towards a culture of development (in Konrad, (ed.)); 1997, co-editor, Pre schools under examination. - The search for a situational approach to children's education;
- 1995, Everyday life of primary school students (all in German)
- 1969 Ph D in Sociology and Modern History, Freie Universität, Berlin
- 1961 MA in Philosophy and Theology at St. George's College, Frankfurt am Main
Professor of Sociology of Education at the Freie Universität, Berlin/Germany
Guest researcher (post-retirement) at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development and Education
Principal investigator for a study of inequality among children (German Research Foundation)
Member of several advisory boards in the field of child development and education
English, German (Deutsch)