|Professional Background ||Main professional activities:|
- Chairperson, Kenya Women Judges Association, which is responsible for training judicial officers in international humanitarian law and human rights law. Member, Governing Council of the National Research Centre in Kenya, which is responsible for conducting research in crime including juvenile delinquency.
- Regional coordinator for African Women Judges for purposes of collaboration and comparison of issues affecting women and children in Africa. Chairperson, Committee on Establishment of Family Division, which is responsible for overseeing the work in family law matters.
Other main activities:
- Vice-Chairperson, United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child;
- First Chairperson of Committee of African Union Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child;
- Responsible for formulating rules of practice and procedure and implementing the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child;
- One of the five judges of the International Tribunal for Children’s Rights, who articulate the rights of war-affected children and make appropriate recommendations for action by various organizations;
- Board member, Olive Baden Powell Society, which raises funds worldwide for activities of Girl Guides, which include training and HIV/AIDS prevention programmes.
Most recent publications:
- The Jurisdiction of the High Court Under the Kenya Children Act;
- A Comparison of the Convention on the Rights of the Child and the African Charter;
- Responding to the plight of girls and women in Africa;
- Numerous judgements prepared and delivered in guardianship, maintenance, adoption of children etc. cases.