|Professional Background ||Positions in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs|
- Political Under-Secretary, 1988-1989.
- Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs, 1992-1994.
- Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs, 2000 to date..
- Ambassador to Yugoslavia, 1989-1990.
- Ambassador to Italy, 1990-1992.
- Ambassador to Austria, 1994-1997.
- Has been appointed Ambassador to Chile.
Principal missions abroad
- Vice-President of the Second Conference of the Americas on Outer Space, Santiago, Chile, 1994.
- Head of the Ecuadorian delegation to the Meeting of Deputy Ministers for Foreign Affairs at the Summit of the Americas, Washington, D.C., 1994.
- Head of the Ecuadorian delegation (Acting Minister for Foreign Affairs) to the General Assembly of the United Nations at its forty-ninth session, 1994.
- Head of the Ecuadorian delegation to the Review Conference of the Convention on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons Which May Be Deemed To Be Excessively Injurious or to Have Indiscriminate Effects, Vienna, 1995, and Geneva, 1996.
- Head of the Ecuadorian delegation to the Twelfth Non-Aligned Ministerial Meeting, New Delhi, 1997.
|Educational Background||- Higher education: Law, Catholic Pontifical University, Quito, Ecuador.|
- Postgraduate studies: Space law, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- Special courses: International Economic Policy, Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), Santiago, Chile.
- Course on Middle Eastern politics, Tel Aviv, Israel.